JOB TITLE: Paralegal
FOCUS Brands is in need of a paralegal to handle contract review, docketing and management, as well as support the General Counsel’s role as the Corporate Secretary. In this position, you will report to and work on matters as assigned by the VP, Legal. In this role you will provide support to our growing legal team in multiple areas of the business such as: billing and invoice management; contract review docketing and management; corporate secretarial functions such as minutes and resolutions; marketing review; and trademark prosecution, maintenance and enforcement. As such, you must be a highly organized, self-motivated and dedicated individual who is comfortable managing multiple projects. You will be an important part of our high-energy, top-flight team in a very fast-paced environment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage international trademark portfolio for all brands.
- Register trademarks as needed ahead of development or deals.
- Instruct local counsel on trademark renewals.
- Protect against, enforce and resolve trademark infringement issues, including monitoring of watch notices.
- Launch investigations in local markets where infringement is suspected.
- Hire and oversee local counsel in each country where there are existing units and development plans.
- Supervise trademark infringement enforcement actions.
- Register and manage portfolio of all international domain names.
Support General Counsel/Corporate Secretary
- Drafting any corporate resolutions and related documents, such as resolutions or other corporate documents, and by coordinating with outside counsel.
- Obtain signoff on documents from affected functions; keep responsible FOCUS Brands attorney informed of material actions and ensure requisite corporate minutes for all subsidiaries are finalized, executed, dated, circulated and filed
- Maintenance original corporate records of all U.S. subsidiaries and original minute books for all subsidiaries; maintain all records and information in an organized manner; audit available processes and information for inconsistencies and process improvement opportunities; maintain appropriate supporting documents for transactions
- Maintain templates generated by legal department, including NDA, Product Development Agreements, Test Agreements, Manufacturing Agreements, Licensing Agreements, and Distribution Agreements, Master Services Agreements, and Pricing Letters.
- Create first drafts or review first drafts for submission to the Corporate Counsel or VP Legal.
- Work to complete executed documents, docket and filing of same electronically.
- Responsible for outside counsel project budget and review of outside counsel invoices
- Projects as assigned by the legal department leadership.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: What we're looking for.
- This is a transactional role: you must be experienced and more than comfortable with the level of attention to detail required and possess a high degree of drive and attention to detail with a proven track record of achieving results.
- Must be able to juggle multiple urgent projects and people, be responsive, and be able to operate with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated ability to drive deals and process and manage all players involved.
- Must be able to build trust and relationships, and know how to play well with others.
- Experience managing billing, invoices, outside counsel and vendors.
- Bonus points for a sense of humor.
- Expert-level skill with Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Bachelor's Degree or Paralegal Certification – Preferred but not required
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National of the U.S., an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or an alien authorized to work in the U.S. for this employer.
- Must currently reside in the Atlanta area.
- Preference given to those with corporate or in-house experience.
- Must have experience soliciting and gathering legal oriented information.
- Must have advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Applies established procedures for responding to incidents; determines and documents information pertinent to incidents; communicates resolutions or results to stakeholders.