JOB TITLE: VP, Legal
BRAND: Support Center
LOCATION: Atlanta, GA
As the VP, Legal, you will report to and work on matters as assigned by the General Counsel. In this role you will provide in-house support to multiple areas of the international business group through timely advice and counsel in the areas of international franchise agreements, franchisee compliance, marketing review, and trademark prosecution, maintenance and enforcement. As such, you must be a highly organized, self-motivated and dedicated individual who is comfortable managing multiple projects. You will be an important part of our high-energy, top-flight team in a very fast-paced environment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: What you'll be doing.
- Generate agreements for complex deals from LOI/MOU through full International Franchise Agreement documenting relationship.
- Serve as deal shepherd: Coordinate input on drafts from key business people and local counsel throughout negotiations, and drive deal to completion.
- Manage documentation of completed agreements, including renewals and amendments.
- Create locally compliant annual FDD and update international franchise agreement template.
- Review franchisee-facing marketing templates.
- Lead all franchisee compliance including monthly report to management.
- Responsible for the enforcement of all other contracts.
- Responsible for managing franchise relationships and conflict resolution.
- Develop and execute internal programs and procedures for franchise sales and development and ensure compliance with federal laws, including FCPA.
Supply Chain, Procurement and Distribution
- Manage and represent company interests alongside Head of International Supply Chain in RFP process, and contract negotiation.
- Draft, negotiate and manage improved commercial terms thorough the development and implementation of stronger contractual terms and conditions across the company.
- Maintain templates generated by legal department, including NDA, RFPs, Approved Vendor Agreements, Manufacturing Agreements, Distribution Agreements, Master Services Agreement and Pricing Letters.
- Ensure compliance with Head of Quality with vendors to Product Specifications.
- Review, negotiation and drafting of domestic and international leases, and all real estate and leasing legal documents.
- Partner with Real Estate, Construction and Franchise Administration to communicate contingencies, issues and company objectives.
- Oversee administrative work associated with generating leases, such as filing legal documents and preparing lease files, as needed.
- Manage international trademark portfolio for all brands.
- Register trademarks as needed ahead of development or deals.
- Instruct on trademark renewals.
- Register and manage portfolio of all international domain names.
- Protect against, enforce and resolve trademark infringement issues, including monitoring of watch notices.
- Launch investigations in local markets where infringement is suspected.
- Hire and oversee local counsel in each country where there are existing units and development plans.
- Supervise trademark infringement enforcement actions.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: What we're looking for.
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school and admitted to practice law within Georgia or ability to achieve reciprocity.
- Minimum 12 years legal experience, with at least 5 in a law firm and 5 in a corporate law department.
- Budget responsibility and experience managing outside counsel.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of international deal structures, including tax implications.
- Specific experience in international franchising, with preference given to restaurant or food service.
- This is a transactional role: you must be experienced and more than comfortable with the level of attention to detail required and possess a high degree of drive and attention to detail with a proven track record of achieving results.
- Must be able to juggle multiple urgent projects, be responsive, and be able to operate with a sense of urgency.
- Risk Assessment: MUST understand actual potential outcomes, be able to articulate same in plain English, and understand how to effectively and efficiently mitigate risk with simple solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to drive deals and process and manage all players involved.
- Must be able to build trust and relationships, and know how to play well with others. Bonus points for a sense of humor.
- Expert-level skill with Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and SharePoint.