JOB TITLE: Director Retail Technology
LOCATION: Atlanta, Georgia
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Director of Retail Technology researches and drives the selection, development, customization and placement of retail technology solutions. The Director of Retail Technology will act as the voice of the customer by leading the process of maintaining and improving products, and developing new ones. The Director of Retail Technology will understand and communicate return on investment, will forecast adoption rates, training needs, will interpret results and relay customer feedback to the appropriate vendors and teams.
Under the direction of the VP of IT, the Director of Retail Technology will manage the creation/customization of, and contribute to the deployment of technology-based products. The Director of Retail Technology manages day-to-day interactions to drive product awareness and build understanding of end-to-end product life-cycle. The Director of Retail Technology ensures that solutions are aligned with business strategies and comply with organization’s application and development standards.
- Become subject matter experts on technology areas and provide vision and leadership to technology R&D efforts.
- Define feature roadmap for technology products based on business opportunities as defined by our business partners and vendor partners.
- Evaluate and articulate business partners and franchisees needs and opportunities for technology based products and services.
- Author detailed Product Requirements and Specifications.
- Develop and deploy key market messages and communication strategies for technology products. (Including fact sheets, demonstrations, and internal press releases.)
- Responsible for Release Management on our Retail Technology Products. Some responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Logging issues
- Capturing feedback and enhancement requests from various interest groups (project teams, IT Sub-Committee, Focus Group, deployment and support teams)
- Ensure alignment between vendors and members of corporate through quarterly meeting updates, etc
- Ensure prioritization of current issues
- Definition of scope of releases including coordination of internal teams within release management processes
- Responsible for management of Franchisee/Franchise Business Consultants Enhancement Requests by responding to specific requests and coordinating within existing enhancement lists for proper prioritization
- Lead focus group meetings quarterly or more often as needed
- Relationship Management – liaison to Retail Technology Vendors regarding product features and planned enhancements. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Liaison to business-lead projects for initiatives that affect retail technology development solutions
- Support liaison for identification and road-mapping for proposed enhancements
- Act as a liaison to project managers through implementation of various projects. Responsible for budget reporting to management and coordination of resource for retail technology related projects.
- Provide technical leadership and expertise on system architecture, application integration and development initiatives. Participate heavily in the design, coding, testing and implementation of application software and enterprise integration.
- Maintain standards for system and applications architecture, configuration and documentation.
- Manage IT vendors to ensure timely, quality and cost effective delivery of services.
- Plays a leadership role in managing the life cycle of technology solutions.
- Leverage internal and external teams and resources to identify and assesses opportunities for new or improved retail technologies.
- Ensures that that processes and documentation are adequate and effective to meet specifications and other requirements.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to junior members of the organization.
- Manages IT vendors to ensure timeliness and excellence in delivery of services.
- Promotes and executes FOCUS Brand’s IT vision.
- Maintains productive relationships with business and IT colleagues and plans systems applications and resources to develop, test and complete programs.
- Provides effective project control by monitoring progress and providing appropriate updates to senior management.
- Establishes and maintains standards for system and applications architecture, configuration and documentation.
- Customer/Market Skills: This competency area involves having a full understanding of the marketplace that the product is being sold in to, as well as an understanding of how the product is being used. It is typical to have key customers participate in the product development process. Therefore, the Director of Retail Technology must be knowledgeable and skilled in incorporating the voice of the customer.
- Business/Financial Skills: The Director of Retail Technology must be sufficiently skilled in the ability to assess and develop an appropriate business case to support a new product opportunity for the firm. This entails a fundamental understanding of the company's business strategy, product roadmaps and financial approach. It also requires the ability to relate business opportunities back to the objectives of the company.
- Team Skills: The Director of Retail Technology must rely on the knowledge and expertise of the functional representatives on the team. The ability of the Director of Retail Technology to achieve objectives lies with his/her experience, background and skills to build, coalesce and champion the team to achieve products that will satisfy customers, while generating the minimizing costs and risks to enhance profits. In many cases the team does not report to the Director of Retail Technology, therefore s/he must develop/possess strong leadership skills.
- Professional Development Skills: It is rare that a Director of Retail Technology that comes to the role totally qualified to fulfill all aspects of such a broad and encompassing responsibility. The successful Director of Retail Technology will constantly seeking to learn and broaden his/her experience in order to take on more complex and critical projects. Director of Retail Technology are encouraged to continually seek improvement and growth opportunities.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES (KSAs)
- Minimum of 7 years of strong background in restaurant operations
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive, relevant IT experience
- Detailed knowledge of relevant applications and technical platforms.
- Experience implementing systems and processes, preferably in a restaurant or retail environment.
- BackOffice and POS (Point of Sale) Experience
- Experience with Product Management
- Experience with Vendor Management
- Experience with Leading a Focus Group (plays into Franchisee and Vendor Management Role)
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Excellent Attention to Detail
- Excellent Time Management Skills
- Working Project Management Skill-set/Knowledge
- Practical experience in building business and technical requirements.
- Some project based travel required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to meet common objectives through teamwork
- Excellent verbal, written communications and presentation skills with an emphasis on being able to present technical topics in an easy to understand way for non-technical customers.
- Strong partnering skills and a service leadership mindset are required
- Practical experience in building business and technical requirements