JOB TITLE: Director R&D
LOCATION: Austin, Texas
JOB TITLE: Director of R&D
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The R&D Director is responsible for driving all R&D domestic and international initiatives to enable the achievement of short and long term results for the Schlotzsky’s brand.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for development and implementation of food items for new and/or limited time offer rollouts each year; presents to Schlotzsky’s leadership team and Franchise Partners; responds to feedback, provides follow-up communication and recommends alternatives as needed.
- Successfully directs the efforts of direct report(s) and meets or beats annual overhead budget(s).
- Ensures that all R&D initiatives support the overall strategies of the brand while maintaining the quality and food cost margins to ensure profitability.
- Collaborates with Purchasing to identify product quality, specifications of raw product and logistics distribution and raw product cost.
- Partners with Operations and Training functions to ensure rollout strategy and successful implementation of all brand products.
- Ensures that all USDA/FDA/HAACP and food safety standards are incorporated into product manufacturing as well as the identification of all necessary on-site food safety product preparation procedures for unit operators.
- Contributes to the success of the brand by developing recipes that can be executed consistently among all operating units.
- Ensures effective relations between Culinary R&D, other brand support teams and franchise partners to maximize efficient use of resources, ideas and execution.
- B.S. or B.A. Culinary, Pastry, Food Science or related degree and/or a minimum of ten years management experience in the food service field required with emphasis in the R&D function.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully create and implement menu items for national restaurant concept.
- Ability to travel 25% - 50% of time.
- Ability to understand and relate to numerous Franchise Partners with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated leadership and direct supervision skills.
- Proven ability to successfully develop and manage department/project budgets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to be flexible and effectively work with others as a team.
- Possesses a high degree of drive with a proven track record of achieving results.
- Excellent communication, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated track record for flexibility and urgency in prioritizing and organizing projects.
- Proficiency in computer skills, i.e. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to move through the corporate kitchen, office and restaurants during visits (standing, walking, kneeling, bending) for extended periods of time.