JOB TITLE: Bakery Manager
LOCATION: Houston, Texas
The Bakery Manager is responsible for increasing bakery sales and profits through sound financial and operational management and leadership practices.
OPERATIONS (Sales, Profitability, Finance, Marketing, Product Quality)
- Drives and delivers period/quarter/annual operating plans, including sales, profitability and management and employee turnover targets.
- Manages bakery controllable profit through prudent management of sales and operating costs.
- Drives incremental sales growth by directing innovative Guest interactions and suggestive selling techniques via sampling in front of the bakery, behind the hot plate and at the register on a daily basis.
- Maintains an intermediate to expert understanding of basic accounting processes (P&L, cash flow, operating profit, accounts payable/receivable, etc.) and their impact on the bakery.
- Operates and maintains bakery against Critical Few and full field review standards.
- Responsible for responding to Guest complaints to achieve satisfactory resolutions.
- Manages and troubleshoots equipment repairs and related paperwork by following company standards for reporting maintenance problems.
- Deploys marketing programs, including the display of POP marketing/merchandising materials and corresponding training of employees.
- Proactively seeks local store marketing opportunities, contacting various organizations in the community for sales opportunities.
- Drives product quality via the PACE system, taking corrective action when necessary to ensure quality.
PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT (Communication, Training, Orientation, EE relations, PDR)
- Creates a fun/challenging environment, driving monthly/quarterly communication and involvement of all employees by celebrating successes, rewarding positive performance, and providing leadership/direction for improved results.
- Directs training processes and procedures for all employees and follows up to ensure thorough execution of training standards.
- Executes detailed and timely Orientations for new employees.
- Supports and directs employees by coaching, counseling and teaching to accomplish tasks and remove barriers to performance satisfaction.
- Facilitates the development of all employees using the Performance Development Review (PDR) form and other tools to enable career advancement and lower turnover.
- Manages employee relations issues as directed by the Performance Counseling Policy and communicates to appropriate supervisors in a timely manner.
- Ensures a positive and inclusive work environment, using Positive Workplace Practices (PWP) and other initiatives to promote employee satisfaction and retention.
EMPLOYEE SELECTION (Recruiting, Interviewing & Selecting)
- Communicates and supports equal employment opportunities with respect to internal and external new hires/promotions.
- Pro-actively recruits employees from various locations in the community.
- Directs Recruiting, Interviewing and Selecting for the bakery using communication techniques and tools (i.e. interview guides, job descriptions, etc.) to ensure quality hires.
- Involves ABM’s and Crew Leaders in the interview process.
- Follows and holds bakery employees accountable for exhibiting the standards for conducting business in a legal and ethical manner, obeying policies and laws related to business and employment law.
- Ensures employee files and payroll records are accurate complete as per company standards.
- Ensures proper and accurate identification and completion of all employee I-9’s.
- Complies with OSHA and/or other agencies and ensures a clean and safe bakery environment at all times as defined by operational standards in the Operations Manual.
- Reports accidents to Risk Management in a timely manner as defined by standards in the Operations Manual.
- Utilizes the WOTC program.
- Follows company cash control policy and security policy.
- Ensures posters related to Federal Wage and Labor Law, Loss Prevention, Employee Service Center, Affirmative Action are posted in a highly visible location for all employees.
- Manages back office administrative duties in an accurate and timely manner.
- Accurately reports and reconciles employee and management payroll.
- Maintains up to date menu pricing, cashier codes, etc. as part of the POS system.
- Models and promotes AFC Enterprises, Inc. / Cinnabon, Inc. culture and values.
- Takes personal responsibility for action, follow-up, and completion of goals, projects and other initiatives.
- Develops and communicates bakery priorities, generating enthusiasm and buy-in for bakery goals and objectives.
- Possesses credibility as a result of delivering on promises and acting with a high level of honesty and integrity in all situations.
- Establishes and continually builds candid, trusting relationships with team and Market Leader through open dialogue.
- Projects a polished, professional image in a confident manner, positively impacting all managers and employees in the market.
- Effectively manages various conflicts by responding to issues and situations with maturity and adequate follow through, while providing creative solutions to issues and challenges.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Associates degree and/or two to three years management experience in a food service and/or retail environment. Bakery experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to positively effect sales and profitability.
- Demonstrated ability to select, retain and develop employees/management.
- Solid working knowledge and troubleshooting skills related to the management of various financial statements/reports.
- Possesses a high degree of drive with a proven track record of achieving results.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated track record for flexibility and urgency in prioritizing and organizing projects and duties for all employees.
- Proficiency in computer skills, i.e. back office systems, Microsoft Word, Excel and Lotus Notes.
To comply with the American Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability, it is necessary to specify the physical, mental and environmental essential requirements of the position.
- Ability to bend, squat, crawl, kneel, climb, sit, stand, walk, push/pull handle objects (manual dexterity), and reach above shoulder level.
- Ability to communicate with Guests and employees.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lb. Bags or pull 35 lb. Batches of dough from mixer.
- Ability to work in a warm environment (ovens) and react to buzzers and timers.
- Ability to climb ladders and bend at the waist to clean equipment.
- Ability to use hands, arms, shoulders and back to produce rolls for up to 4-hour periods.
- Ability to work around industrial strength cleaners.
- Ability to weigh and measure baking products.
- Ability to stand for up to 4 hours without a break.
- Ability to operate the mixer.
- Ability to read, comprehend, write, perform calculations, communicate orally and reason/analyze situations.
- The environment involves moving machinery, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, exposure to dust, fumes, gases, radiation, microwave, and working conditions in confined quarters.